Sunday 9 October 2011

Tutorial: Easy-Peasy Collar

Following my leather collar tutorial, here is the easiest collar tutorial ever. Only a little sewing is required, so if you lack sewing confidence or are looking for a quick wearable craft, this is the how-to for you!

 Ribbons optional!
The collar pictured is the one I mentioned in my previous post, made whilst I was at university.



Time needed: 5-10 minutes

You’ll need:
An unwanted shirt that fits, or is slightly large*
Scissors
Needle & thread (optional)
Press studs (optional)
Ribbon (optional)

*I made the collar above using a men’s shirt from a charity shop, rather than the shirt in the picture! It was on the large side, but I found a solution to that. Read on!



1. Cut the collar (including neck band) off the shirt and trim off any excess bits of thread. If the shirt collar is a little large on you, sew on a press stud so that you can fasten it with a better fit. Otherwise, use the original button to fasten your collar on.


Optional:


2. Cut several lengths of ribbon long enough to tie around your neck in a bow, and sew them to the back of the neck band. 



3. My collar was too big for me, so there was quite a big overlap on the ends. I solved this issue by sewing on two sets of press studs rather than just one.



Alright, so that was so simple it didn’t really need a tutorial, but I wanted to mention the optional steps too!
...and for anyone wondering what I did with the rest of the shirt, it became my painting shirt!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea... thanks for sharing the tutorial... I Love making accessories that are fun and creative.

    Thanks for stopping by my Anthro Post, yes, I found it to be a very inspiring Shop and the creativity of the displays was all that I expected it would be.

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and easy. :) Great idea, when you have shirts lying around, that you don't use anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...